Saturday, July 16, 2011

The Odyssey


Speaking of odysseys, that's exactly what I'm dealing with here. Puffin Classics has a great adaptation of Homer's work for kids, and we've been plowing through it like a red-prowed ship through a wine-dark sea. With an emphasis on "plowing." RC does not like any stories with scariness of any sort in them. This includes such terror tales as "Finding Nemo" and "Tangled." So the Odyssey, and the book we read previously, Black Ships Before Troy, (a wonderful adaptation of the Iliad by Rosemary Sutcliffe) have been a bit of a stretch.

Whenever I pull this book out, I get strangled cries of, "No! No! It's too scary!" But I bull on through anyway, since I know that at the end of each chapter I'll hear, "But wait! What happens next??" And then these same story lines start showing up in the next dress-up session or artwork.

Which goes to show you that Homer is better at this than Disney.


Skills:
Language Arts/Listening
History/Ancient Greece
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment